Notes from my mini session at the Summit
Jesus called men to Himself that He could be with them and then send them out to do the ministry
Mark 3:14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,
- The stated purpose was to be with them-not use them, not build a church-but be with them
- After being with Him they will go out to preach
- People will notice that they have been with Jesus
Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
Paul told Timothy to train men that would be able to train others also
II Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
- Timothy was to teach what he had learned
- He was to find “faithful” men
- He was find men that would be able to teach others also
- God’s work is a people work
- It is a person to person, life on life work
The Lord Jesus would never have commanded us to do an impossible task
Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- The reason it appears impossible is that we have not followed the Biblical pattern and mandate mentioned above
- It is impossible for one person or even one church to reach the world but if we continue steadfastly doing what He tells us to do we will get it done
- He told Adam and Eve to multiply and fill the earth
Genesis 1:27-28 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
- They could never have done that without reproducing themselves
- Even though they lived hundreds of years they could never have that many children
- They could raise a family that would raise a family however
- Jesus never traveled far and apparently didn’t try to get the gospel to the world but those that He trained did!
- Money was never the greatest need in world evangelism.
- Jesus dedicated Himself to life on life discipleship that would prepare other men to get the gospel to the entire world
- Our problem is that we dedicate ourselves to doing ministry and not reproducing ourselves
The priority ministry of our lives should be to train other men to follow Jesus
- We are to mature them and then place them in the work
Ephesians 4:11-16 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
- We must perfect or mature them.
Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
- We are to make disciples. Christians were called disciples before the world gave them a new name.
Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch
- Making a disciple or training a person doesn’t mean that they will be preachers, pastors, or missionaries.
- It doesn’t mean that they have to be trained by a pastor or missionary
- Everybody ought to be trained to be all that they can be
- The mature women were to teach the younger women
Titus 2:3-5 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
Ministry is not about being a crisis manager.
- Most of us are excited to help a person in trouble or crisis get their life back on track but we are often unable to help them grow in Christ or get involved in ministry serving Christ.
- People that get their lives back together but do not know what to do soon get bored and go back to the world
- It seems we have become good at giving temporary help to the hurting but not at growing servants of the Lord Jesus
Our biggest mistakes
- Working on the exterior of a man rather than the interior
- We have focused for too long on the “do level” and have failed
- We have majored on minors and minored on majors
- We are more concerned with their do level and their serve level than their be level
- They clean up the outside but what we can’t see hasn’t changed
- We preach against sins that they commit without getting truth into their hearts that will cause them to change
- We teach them how to act like the Christian that they have not become
- In all honesty we have failed to give them good solid Bible teaching teaching about who they are and how they are to live out who they are
- We are unwilling to be transparent with people due to our pride. When they sin we judge. They are afraid to talk to us and so they hide it until it explodes.
- They need loving accountability not judgmental criticism
- They need to know that we understand them and are here to help them
Hebrews 5:1-4 For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins: 2 Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity. 3 And by reason hereof he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins. 4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.
Here are some principles you need if you are going to train people without causing them to be frustrated
- Double Vision
Judges 6:13-18 And Gideon said unto him, Oh my Lord, if the LORD be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where be all his miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt? but now the LORD hath forsaken us, and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites. 14 And the LORD looked upon him, and said, Go in this thy might, and thou shalt save Israel from the hand of the Midianites: have not I sent thee? 15 And he said unto him, Oh my Lord, wherewith shall I save Israel? behold, my family is poor in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house. 16 And the LORD said unto him, Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man. 17 And he said unto him, If now I have found grace in thy sight, then shew me a sign that thou talkest with me. 18 Depart not hence, I pray thee, until I come unto thee, and bring forth my present, and set it before thee. And he said, I will tarry until thou come again.
- Take them forward at a speed that they can go
Genesis 33:13-14 And he said unto him, My lord knoweth that the children are tender, and the flocks and herds with young are with me: and if men should overdrive them one day, all the flock will die. 14 Let my lord, I pray thee, pass over before his servant: and I will lead on softly, according as the cattle that goeth before me and the children be able to endure, until I come unto my lord unto Seir.
- Love them like as though they were your very children. I Timothy 1:2, II Timothy 1:2, Titus 1:4
- We work diligently and patiently with our own children.
- Teach them character from the very beginning
- Remember people are not disposable
- Challenge them and expect great things
- Remember you get what you look for, expect, and honor
- They will never rise higher than what you expect
- It is more caught than taught. They learn from watching us.
I Corinthians 16:10-11 Now if Timotheus come, see that he may be with you without fear: for he worketh the work of the Lord, as I also do. 11 Let no man therefore despise him: but conduct him forth in peace, that he may come unto me: for I look for him with the brethren. 4:17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.
- You get what you look for and what you honor
What is true discipleship or training
- It is life on life
- It is loving them like your family
- It is investing or pouring yourself into another person
- It is with-ness
Mark 3:14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,
- Remember that the goal is not a series of lessons but to develop a person who can train others also
- Take every person as far as they want to go but no further. You can’t make him serve God.
- Christian men and women are hungry for godly input and accountability in their lives, and likewise, one of the marks of a spiritual leader is his or her passion to shape and assist other believers in their journey of faith.
THE CHURCH LEADER’S MENTORING PROCESS
- Come alongside and love the people in the church
- Encourage them in personal spiritual growth
- Help them catch a vision of what God can do through them
- Vision is born as people rub shoulders with those who have it. There is no better way to create vision than to take followers into our confidence.
Steps on how to mentor
- Be candid. No questions are off limits for one who is training to be a pastor.
- Give them goals to accomplish – a passage or chapter to read or a verse to memorize. Discuss what you’ve read the next time you meet.
- Pray together.
- INCLUDE THEM IN YOUR MINISTRY Living and laboring together – person-with-person ministry – is the purest form of discipleship, where conversations are more incidental than focal.
- Person-with-person ministry is when the mentor takes the emerging leader with him to minister, a funeral, a counseling session, etc., to show him, to model ministry. “Coming along” is the single greatest way to learn ministry.
- They will learn far more by doing than by reading books about ministry. The question is – Can you remember to take them with you?
- Remember the following
- Never work alone.
- Don’t let learning lead to knowledge let learning lead to action.
- This is the most costly form of ministry because the more you love the more you can be hurt
- If you are one of a kind you are failing
Check out bcwe.org